Guitar Player - December 2017 – Kaki King
The December issue of Guitar Player features Kaki King
Everyone knows that Kaki King has chops for days-if not decades-but the solo-acoustic wunderkind didnt rely soley on her formidable technique and captivating songs to thrill audiences during recent The Neck Is a Bridge to the Body concerts. King transformed her live shows into full-on multimedia events with projections and a theatrical narrative. There's a lesson about the future of live performance that all musicians might want to absorb here. Bonus! King also details the making of Live at Berklee with a chamber orchestra.
Features: Phil Collen, Kenny Wayne Shepard, JD Simo, Tyler Bates
Classic Column: GP50 Encore (from May 1993)
- Family Values Jesse Gress explains how key centers can expand your musical vocabulary.
- Leppard's Layers Vinnie DeMasi decodes the guitar textures of Def Leppard's Hysteria.
- Classic Riff "Hoe Down" by ELP.
- GP50: A bass lesson from session legend Carol Kaye (from March 1974).
Brian May goes 3-D, Steve Hunter discloses a musical challenge during Peter Gabriel's "Down the Dolce Vita" session, Jim Campilongo digs Willie Nelson's covers album, Sophia Radisch reveals her audience-engagement strategies, Don Everly talks guitar in a 1977 Pro's Reply, and Hannah Wicklund of Steppin' Stones shares a soloing tip.
- Classical Guitarist Berta Rojas
- Review Fender Paramount Standard Travel PM-TE
- GP50 Happy Traum on blues turnarounds (from October 1972).
- New Gear Holiday Gift Guide
- D'Angelico Excel SS and Excel DC Shoreline Models
- Yamaha Pacifica 611VFMX
- Epiphone Johnny A Custom Outfit
- Line 6 Helix LT
- Grez Mendocino
- Keeley D&M Drive
- GP50 Classic Gear 1964 Gibson Firebird VII