Guitar Player - July 2017 – Own Your Tone!
The July issue of Guitar Player features Own Your Tone!
Own Your Tone!
As more and more powerful digital tools join the massive ranks of tube amps and analog effects out there, players now have so many options for crafting guitar tone that it can sometimes seem overwhelming. Well, take a breath. Let us demystify some essential sonic elements so that you can easily understand what they all mean, why they exist, and how they affect guitar tone. Knowing the basics of tonal architecture should help you craft guitar sounds that are more personal, more unique, and more awesome-and all without fear. Whether you're a tube head or a digital technologist-or an experienced pro or a beginner-there should be some "Eureka!" moments here to expand your sonic explorations.
Features: Allan Holdsworth
Classic Column: Jimmy Stewart on Arranging (from February 1978)
- Extra-Terrestrial Tourism Vinnie DeMasi decodes Radiohead's otherworldly guitars on 1997's OK Computer.
- Hitting the Mark Jesse Gress illustrates how "target tones" can sweeten your blues licks.
- Classic Riff "Open My Eyes" by Nazz
- GP50: Larry Coryell on inside Chords (from March 1987)
- Murali Coryell honors his dad's legacy, Joe Satriani and crew on the 30th anniversary of Surfing with the Alien, a classic Tom Wheeler interview with the late Chuck Berry, Ben Lacy gets percussive in his No Guitar Is Safe podcast, the late J. Gelis on sustain, and more!
Review IK Multimedia iRig Acoustic Stage
Field Test Framus Legacy FD28 Nashville SBT Cutaway
GP50 Happy Traum on Travis picking (from May 1975)
Music Man Monarchy Series Majesty 6
Mitchell MS400 and MD400
Fishman SA330x Combo+ Performance Audio System
Whack Job 1967 Teisco V2T Flying Wedge
Classic Gear The 1962 Gibson Les Paul/SG