Guitar Player - November 2017 – Jimmy Herring & John McLaughlin
The November issue of Guitar Player features John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring
GP gets the inside story on the "Meeting of the Spirits" tour, which features McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension co-heading with Jimmy Herring's group. We explore the songs, the gear, how they arranged to perform a finale of classic Mahavishnu Orchestra material together, and why McLaughlin is saying that these will be his last American performances.
Features: Sue Foley, Rick Nielsen, Gretchen Men, Ronnie Montrose
Classic Column: GP50 Craig Anderton's Handbook of Multiple Effects, Part II (from December 1979).
- Where Were They Then? Jesse Gress turns back the clock and puts the spotlight on the playing of Duane Allman, Billy Gibbons, Paul Kossoff, and Mick Ronson, circa 1967.
- Sequential Magic David Brewster break down the fretboard wizardry of modern metal master Wes Hauch.
- Whale Licks Christopher Schreiner goes deep on reverse bending.
- Classic Riff "Had to Cry Today" by Blind Faith
- GP50 Rik Emmett's Introduction to Modes (from April 1987).
2017 Hall of Fame winners, Steve Miller Band guitarist Kenny Lee Lewis on why amp size matters, Jim Campilongo on the guitar greatness of Cream's Wheels of Fire, a Pro's Reply from Jesse Colin Young, a Quick Tip from Steve Stevens, and more!
- Judy Collins
- Xuefei Young
- Roundup New Accessories from D'Addario
- GP50 Benjamin Verdery on sticking to the score (from August 1987).
- New Gear
- Gretsch G6620TFM Players Edition Nashville
- Electro-Harmonix Operation Overlord & Tone Corset
- Fodera Emperor Classic and Imperial Deluxe
- Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700
- Music Nomad Octopus 8 'n 1 Tech Tool
- BOSS BOX-40 40th Anniversary Box Set
- Celestion G12H-150 Redback and Limited Edition G12-35XC
- Classic Gear The 1961 Silvertone 1423