Guitar Player - October 2017 – Guitar Player 50th Anniversary
The October issue of Guitar Player features Guitar Player 50th Anniversary!
50 Years of Guitar Player Magazine, 1967-2017!
For our "official" 50th anniversary issue, we busted into the archives, sought content suggestions and "favorite player" votes from readers, and researched the world around the guitar during the past five decades. That's a lot of data to digest! But we've broken it all up into four sections with a timeline of gear innovations running across the pages: 50 years of Extraordinary Players (as picked by you). Top Cover Artists Year By Year, Noteworthy Albums of the Past 50 Years, and Five Decades of Thrills & Disruptions. Enjoy!
Features: Marty Friedman, Adam Rogers
Classic Column: GP50 Frank Zappa's Non Foods (from April 1983)
- The Father of British Blues Jesse Gress takes you on a musical journey through the music of John Mayall.
- Widespread Chaos David Brewster decodes Jimmy Herring's "outside" playing techniques.
- Classic Riff "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor
Brendon Small goes solo again, Troy Van Leeuwen reveals how three Queens of the Stone Age guitarists stay out of each other's way, Steve Hunter on the "Excuse Me" session for Peter Gabriel, Jim Campilongo falls in love with Julie London and Barney Kessel, Bob Weir stars in a 1975 Pro's Reply, and Ana Popovic shares a tip.
- The Acoustic Side of Sonny Landreth
- Review Taylor 810e DLX Dreadnought and 814ce DLX Grand Auditorium.
- GP50 Stefan Grossman on Chet Atkins' alternating bass picking (from February 1982)
- New Gear
- Framus Masterbuilt Television P90
- Teye The Fox
- Dr.Z EMS Combo
- Soul Tramp Wraith
- Eminence Wheelhouse 150, Pete Anderson HempDog & Josh Smith Signature
- Classic Gear 1961 Vox AC15 1x12 Combo