Guitar World - Apr-09 - Kirk Hammett, Adam Jones
This month Guitar World brings together metal titans Kirk Hammett and Adam Jones, who reveal how they turned their love of the guitar into creative - and career - success. We also present the 25 cult guitar heroes who have shaped blues, rock, metal and beyond. Plus, the results are in from our Readers Poll, and you'll be shocked at how you voted.
Features for this issue include:
- Kirk Hammett and Adam Jones: Both started as cult heroes - Metallica's Kirk Hammett was a man of the people, and Tool's Adam Jones was a man of mystery. Join them as they compare notes on how they transformed their heavy metal into a worldwide religion.
- The 2009 Readers Poll: Joe Satriani rules the Hall of Fame, Alexi Laiho trounces the competition as Best Metal Guitarist, and AC/DC are back in Black (Ice, that is) as Best Comeback. You voted, we counted. Here are the results.
- Cult Heroes: Ready to venture off music's beaten path into the wild world of guitar-wielding conjurers and mystics? Guitar World presents 25 guitarists from the past to the present whose supernatural talents have inspired legions of devoted followers.
- Deathcore: Combine the palm-muted rage of death metal with metalcore's breakdowns and grooves, and whaddaya get? Deathcore! GW explores the latest extreme metal phenomenon through interviews with All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence and other leaders of the pack.
- Savatage's Criss Oliva: As the lead guitarist of Savatage, Criss Oliva crafted a towering style that casts its shadow over modern metal and the music of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
- Jeff Loomis: Nevermore's master of shred Jeff Loomis discusses his incendiary debut solo release, Zero Order Phase, and takes you to the center of his technical wizardry.
5 SONGS with Guitar & Bass TABS!
- Jimi Hendrix - "Crosstown Traffic"
- Tool - "The Pot"
- Racer X / Paul Gilbert - "Scarified"
- Coheed and Cambria - "Welcome Home"
- Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King"